Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Potty Training: One at a Time is Still HARD!

My boys are just shy of 2 1/2 years old. A few weeks ago, they both started asking to 'go peepee, get gummi?' I went with it, not really thinking that it would go anywhere. They both peed several times, but since then E has decided that he's terrified of sitting on the potty. In fact, he starts to freak out when I'm changing him from his pj's to his clothes saying 'no mom, don't take diaper!' So... he's not ready, clearly.

O has maintained his interest, so I'm going with it. He hasn't worn a diaper since Monday, but everyday seems a little bit different and a little more difficult. At first he was really willing to pee on the potty, but it seems to be a fine line between reminding him to stay dry too often and not often enough. He wants to wear 'skivvies' instead of his diaper, but had four accidents yesterday and held his bladder for 3.5 hours this morning before finally peeing. I'm not sure if he's just learning to hold it better or being really stubborn (or both!)

The boys have always done everything within days of each other - but this is one milestone I'm glad that I can focus on one at a time. Add in a 6 month old and another toddler to care for and it's all I can do to get to the end of the day in one piece! This. is. stressful!!

How do you know when a kid is officially 'potty trained'? Is it enough not to have accidents during the day or do they have to initiate using the potty themselves rather than being reminded? Any pointers to share!?

2 comments:

The Borrowed Nest said...

My 4th child is 2 1/2. Will NOT wear panties, so I've left her naked from the waist down when we're home but she throws a fit about having the diaper on...one day at a time :) Best of luck to you!!

suzannah | the smitten word said...

potty training is so hard! dylan flirted with it for 1 1/2 years(!), and the day she turned three, was good to go. before that, it was mostly my initiative, but at her birthday, she was ready.

the test for me was putting her in undies at MOPS for two hours, and her staying dry/using the potty w/o me having to make it happen.

good luck!