Monday, February 22, 2010

Awesome Applesauce Muffins

I was motivated to make apple muffins by my cousin Shaloma's post, but didn't have any whole apples in the house, so I went on a search for applesauce muffins instead and landed on this recipe that I think turned out great! They are light and fluffy, loaded with applesauce and spices and a surefire winner with the boys. I'd probably add a pinch of salt next time, but that's my only critique.

Ingredients:
4 cups flour
1 T ground cinnamon
1 T ground allspice
2 t baking soda
1 c butter, softened
2 c sugar
2 eggs
2 c applesauce
2 T vanilla extract
1 c raisins (I omitted these & hate cooked raisins)

Combine flour, cinnamon, allspice and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Mix in the eggs, applesauce and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients, just until moistened. (Fold in raisins) Fill greased or paper-lined muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 20-22 minutes. Cool in the muffin pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.

Before baking, I also sprinkled a packet of cinnamon oatmeal on the top of half of the muffins to test a hypothesis and they turned out better than the muffins without the oatmeal! I have another dessert recipe to share later (that you make in a crock pot!) where I learned that little trick and it's gonna be my go-to addition to many muffin recipes.

I thought it sounded like a lot of cinnamon, allspice and vanilla, but I usually like to stick to a recipe for the first time and then alter it afterwards, but this was right on. Like I said, I think the muffins need a little salt, but I wouldn't have known that until trying them. Anyone know how much salt to add to a muffin recipe?

Have you cooked/baked anything fun lately that you can share?

1 comments:

Shaloma said...

I just made these and they're awesome! Thanks for the recipe!