Thursday, September 10, 2009

Kate's Cup Reflection - 9.10.09

Kate's Cup is a mom's group at one of the churches that Charlie and I have tried in Arizona. The basic idea behind the name is that, though we may be cracked, chipped and imperfect cups, we all need to be 'filled up' from being in community with other women and moms. Since today was the first meeting, I left this morning feeling like it was my first day of school. I didn't know anyone, I wasn't sure what to expect and I didn't quite feel like I belonged in a group of women (who I was telling myself) already all knew each other. It turned out that 'newcomers' were the majority of the women there! I was at a table with 8 other women who were awesome and I can't wait to go back next week. Did I mention it's WEEKLY! Yes - outside contact with other women! The speaker today emphasized the power of having a positive influence over your family. The point that struck me the most was that as moms, our job is to be the thermostat in the home. Not the thermometer, the thermostat. "What's the difference?" you ask. The difference is that a thermometer tells you the temperature of the home. A thermostat sets the temperature of the home. Is it too hot inside? Are tempers erupting? Are kids fighting over toys? Are you arguing with your husband? Is the general feeling one of crankiness and irritability? Or is it too cold inside? Are siblings ignoring each other or being mean? Or worse - are you doing the same to your husband? Decide what you want your home to feel like inside. Create an environment of warmth - one that is inviting and comfortable to live in, one where your family wants to live and enjoy life together. As moms, we need to take the responsibility upon ourselves to set the mood and temperature of our home. How does your home feel? Are you comfortable with the temperature?

2 comments:

mandy said...

Beth, I love the idea of being a thermostat. It's so wonderful and scary to know that we moms are the tool that God uses to help our families and husbands have a warm home. Makes me think of other homes where I have loved to visit and just BE and it gives me hope that our children will remember our home in a like manner.

Janice said...

Good post...I had a rough last couple days where EVERYONE was grouchy and reading your post made me realize that everyone was kind of taking me lead on that! It is my responsibilty to set or reset the tone of the day and be an example to my family.